Home  »  Military & Veteran Benefits   »   Free Tax Support for Military Members

Free Tax Support for Military Members

Free tax support for military members

Tax season for military members is potentially stressful at the best of times. For those new to the military or new to doing their own taxes while serving, sorting out pay and benefits for tax filing purposes can feel overwhelming. Fortunately, there is help available for military members at tax time.

Some choose to pay a professional tax preparer to take all the paperwork, run the numbers, and file their taxes. But you don’t have to pay for tax help as a service member.  There are free tax preparation services for service members, including MilTax and Volunteer Income Tax Assistance options at military bases worldwide.

Free Tax Prep for Military Members: MilTax

MilTax is a do-it-yourself military tax help option. This is offered via a free online tax prep and e-filing program offered through MilitaryOneSource.

MilTax helps you sort out unique military tax issues related to deployments, serving in an overseas location (combat zones and otherwise), the need to file income taxes in more than one state, and training pay issues.

The software is designed to help you complete and file your taxes electronically, but you can also get personalized assistance from “personalized tax consultants”.

MilTax uses an onlin questionnaire to help you properly file both state and federal returns and you may be asked questions about your most recent service, and your status as an active duty, Guard, or Reserve member.

MilTax is offered to all service members on active duty, and you can still use it for an entire year after you retire or are separated from the military.

Using MilTax

To use MilTax, you must first create an account at Military OneSource, a DoD-funded website offering support for troops and their families. Once you have created an account, you can access MilTax software or get personal support by phone. MilTax e-filing software is offered to the public annually from mid-January until October.

Once registered, the official site says you can use MilTax to:

  • Complete your tax return with military-optimized software
  • Connect with a tax professional who can help you further if necessary
  • File federal and state tax returns

MilitaryOneSource services are offered at no cost to:

  • Active duty service members
  • Active-duty immediate family members, including spouses, children and “anyone who has legal responsibility for the service member’s children” National Guard and reserve service members and families
  • Coast Guard members who are activated as part of the Department of the Navy under Title 10 authority, as well as their family members.
  • Survivors
  • Medically discharged service members and their immediate family members who are “currently enrolled in their service branch’s wounded warrior or seriously ill and injured program”
  • Retired service members and their immediate family members until 365 days past end of tour of service, retirement date or discharge date.
  • Discharged service members
  • Designated Department of Defense expeditionary civilians and family
  • Military academy cadets, students enrolled in one of the service academies for the Army, Navy or Air Force.

Some services may be considered “limited” and a smaller pool of eligible users may apply. Contact MilitaryOneSource directly if you have questions about your ability to use MilTax.

Free Tax Prep for Military Members: VITA

The Department of Defense operates a program called VITA, or Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, through an entity called the Armed Forces Tax Council. VITA provides tax support for military members and addresses duty-related tax issues, including combat zone tax credits, Earned Income Credit applications, and more. VITA is the “main IRS outreach” for military taxpayers.

VITA is typically offered at military bases, but it is not available at ALL installations. VITA provides a location lookup tool to help you find the nearest tax assistance under this program. VITA is typically an in-person operation, and the volunteer tax preparers are given tax prep training to address military-specific tax issues and more typical ones.

Planning Your VITA Visit

In order to be fully prepared for your session with a VITA tax prep volunteer, you will need to gather a number of documents, including a valid, unexpired photo ID plus:

  • Social Security cards for the taxpayer, spouse, and dependents, where applicable;
  • Proof of foreign status when applying for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number;
  • Birth dates for primary and secondary earners and dependents on your tax return.
  • Last year’s tax returns (state and federal)

In cases where a taxpayer or family member does not have a Social Security Number, you can substitute an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number assignment letter. You should come prepared with your banking information, including account and routing numbers for Direct Deposit of your tax refund.

Volunteer Tax Assistance is typically meant for simple personal taxes. If you itemize deductions, have a small business, or require more involved assistance, you may wish to hire a tax professional rather than relying on a volunteer. And your VITA volunteer may not be qualified to (in their VITA role) help on more complex tax matters like itemized deductions.

But if your basic issues involve whether or not your combat zone tax exclusion is counted in the tax year, you’re filing in, or if you have questions about how other military pay or benefits affect your taxes, VITA can help.

Some tax issues sound more complicated than they really are. For example, if you got a reenlistment bonus in the current tax year, you might not know (at first) that the IRS considers this supplemental income and has taxed it (in past tax seasons) at a flat rate (22% in one tax season). Will that apply for your current income tax filing? That depends on how laws may have changed since last year or when you got your bonus.

Other Free Tax Support for Military Members

The IRS Free File Program is another option; this public-private partnership between the federal government and private tax prep companies makes it possible for military members and/or those who have qualifying income below a cap to file their taxes for free. You can visit IRS.gov for more information, but the 2 basic options are:

  • Free “Guided” Tax Preparation: you can get free online tax prep and electronic filing using an IRS partner provider’s website. Typically those who have an annual gross income below $73,000 at press time are eligible to file free federal tax returns using this service.
  • Free Fillable Forms: This option provides the digital equivalent of an IRS 1040 form. This option assumes you have a better grasp of your own tax issues and you will need to follow the IRS instructions on the form for filing. Like the guided tax prep option above, your gross annual income must be below a cap, which in 2022 was set at $73,000. These dollar amounts are subject to change year to year; it’s not safe to assume last year’s tax rules apply this year unless you get specific guidance. Always check the current year’s tax filing guidelines before filing for best results.

If You Choose to Pay a Tax Professional, Instead

There are some things to keep in mind if you choose a tax prep professional instead of free assistance for your taxes while serving in the military. One of the biggest issues? Getting burned by fine print fees that aren’t mentioned in a transparent way earlier in the process.

You may be offered a special deal by a tax pro who wants to attract more military customers, but beware of hidden fees in the fine print for the act of e-filing your taxes–which is NOT the same thing as being charged for the PREPARATION of those taxes. You may find a fee structure associated with some tax professionals that includes an offer of free or discounted prep but a service fee charged for other activities.

Should You Get A Refund Anticipation Check?

If your tax preparer offers you a refund anticipation check you may be able to pay for your tax prep services with the proceeds but that does not mean you get your tax refund faster. 

Some services may offer you a Tax Refund Advance Loan, but you could be stuck paying fees and/or interest on a loan that you might not even ask for knowing that IRS processing times for refunds is typically about 20 days or so. That may not be true in all cases, but for simpler tax filings some might choose to just wait out the IRS instead.

Shop Around for a Tax Professional

In the same way you would research any other professional service such as a counselor, primary care provider, lawyer, or real estate agent, you should also research your tax prep expert.

Whether you use an individual or go through a large company, you’ll want to learn what the online reputation of your chosen service provider is before you commit to having them work on your state and federal tax filings. It never hurts to ask questions of your tax professional including how much experience they have filing taxes on behalf of military members and their families.



About the author

Editor-in-Chief | + posts

Editor-in-Chief Joe Wallace is a 13-year veteran of the United States Air Force and a former reporter/editor for Air Force Television News and the Pentagon Channel. His freelance work includes contract work for Motorola, VALoans.com, and Credit Karma. He is co-founder of Dim Art House in Springfield, Illinois, and spends his non-writing time as an abstract painter, independent publisher, and occasional filmmaker.