Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program: A DoD Resource for Guard and Reserve Families
What is the Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program (YRRP)?
YYRP is a DoD program under the Defense Personnel and Family Support Center, created in 2008 to help promote the well-being of National Guard and Reserve members, their families, and their communities.
What Does the Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program Do?
This program connects Guard and Reserve memebers and their families with resources through the entire deployment cycle. From the pre-deployment stage, the actual time deployed, and the reintegration period after deployment is over. Each reserve component was directed to implement the Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program for their service members and families.
What Does the YRRP Offer?
The YRRP program offers Yellow Ribbon events where service members and their families can connect with local resources during all phases of deployment. At these events, you can find resources and information on health care, education and training opportunities, financial topics, legal benefits, and more. These events are mostly in-person but they also offer online events.
It is also important to note that some Yellow Ribbon events may be mandatory for the service member. Reimbursement of travel expenses may be permitted if the event is more than 50 miles from where the service member and family lives. The service member will need to check with their command about what they are required to do.
YRRP Online Classes
The DoD works with partners including the Small Business Administration, Department of Labor, and the Department of Veterans Affairs to provide support for this program. And, in addition to the Yellow Ribbon events, the website offers many online classes to attend. Some examples include:
- “Acing the Interview”
- “Are You Ready? Being Prepared for Deployment”
- “ Financial Literacy: Investing For Beginners”
In addition, you can also find articles on employment, finances, PTSD and TBI, community outreach, and more.
Make Sure to Check Out the Reintegration Program
If you are a National Guard or Reserve family, you can learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program at the official site. The resources can help you and your family, no matter where you are in the deployment cycle.
- Deployment: How To Prepare
- Financial Planning For Your Next Deployment
- Take Ownership of Deployments
- 3 Life Skills You Need For Deployment
- 3 MORE Life Skills You Need for Deployment!
- Celebrate the National Day of the Deployed
- National Guard Benefits Access Enabled With Extended Orders
- VA Loan Eligibility Expanded for National Guard
- National Guard and Reservist Job Security in State Governments
- Big Boosts for the National Guard and Reserves
- Healthcare When Going from Active Duty to National Guard
About the author
Julie Provost is a freelance writer, blogger, and owner of Soldier's Wife, Crazy Life, a support blog for military spouses. She lives in Tennessee with her National Guard husband and three boys.