Webinars for Job Hunting Veterans and Military Spouses [updated]
Lori Waddell & Kellie Fergusson
Webinars to Prepare Veterans and Military Spouses to Land a Job 2021
Updated through August 2021
There are many tools out there to help the military community with finding a job. Possibly one of the most convenient and helpful tools are webinars. A webinar is a virtual live presentation or conference that many companies use to train, guide, network, or gain new employees. For the military community, webinars can be a great tool if you are looking for a job.
These virtual events allow you to grow your knowledge of what employers are looking for and how to best prepare yourself and your resume to get the job you want. Webinars are usually interactive, allowing for on the spot discussions about tips and resources. Attending a webinar geared toward the military community may just be the resource you need to jump-start your next career.
Types of Virtual Webinars
- Interview Preparation
- Resume Tips
- Employer Connections
- Leveraging Job Search Engines
- Networking Tips
- Company Recruitment
Webinars in June for Military, Veterans and Spouses
June 24, 2021
- MOAA Seminar: Maximize Your Overall Compensation Package – This webinar will focus on salary and benefits negotiation. The webinar will cover how your conduct during the negotiation process will directly affect your relationship with your future employer as well as The Value of your TRICARE Benefit, Composition of Employee Benefits Packages, Preparing for Salary Negotiation, When to Talk Money, How to Respond to Salary Questions, Evaluating the Salary Offer, and Closing the Deal. 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm EDT, pre-registration generally required, register here.
June 30, 2021
- Turning a Job into a Career – This webinar will focus on leveraging a position that might not be your dream job into a better opportunity. The webinar will also cover how to turn an entry level position or part time position into a meaningful career. 7:00 pm EST, pre-registration generally required, register here.
Webinars in July for Military, Veterans and Spouses
July 15, 2021
- Hire Heroes USA: Navigating Gaps in Employment – This webinar focuses on employment gaps. The employment gaps they will cover are gaps in education, experience, and employment history. You will get insight on how to address them on your application, resume, and in the interview. 3:00 pm ET, pre-Registration generally required, register here.
July 19, 2021
- Making an Impactful Impression: How to Work a Virtual Career Fair – This webinar will focus on teaching you how to make an impactful impression at a virtual career fair. If you have never attended a virtual career fair and want to learn what they are all about and how to navigate them this is a great webinar for you to attend. 2:00 pm– 3:00 pm EDT, pre-Registration generally required, register here.
July 20, 2021
- Success After Service: 5 Steps to Get Hired – This webinar will focus on the employment process, resume tailoring, defining and protecting your brand, identifying your target, selling yourself in an interview, and offer negotiation. This is event is great for transitioning military members.10:00 am PT, pre-Registration generally required, register here.
July 21, 2021
- Federal Employment: Strategy Session – This webinar will focus on helping you achieve success with your federal applications. You will look at vacancy announcements, building narrative content, and tailoring a federal resume.12:00 pm ET, pre-Registration generally required, register here.
Jul 27, 2021
- Success for Military Spouses: Leveraging LinkedIn – This webinar will focus on building your professional LinkedIn profile by getting guidance on establishing meaningful connections, maximizing LinkedIn resources. Building a strong network and creating a strong profile can propel your career forward. 9:00 am PT, pre-Registration generally required, register here.
Webinars in August for Military, Veterans and Spouses
August 3, 2021
- Military Spouses: 5 Steps to Get Hired – This webinar will focus on helping military spouses navigate the job search process. Military spouses will receive resume writing guidance, learn how to leverage their personal networks, and receive effective interview techniques. 9:00 am PST, pre-registration generally required, register 9:00 am PT pre-Registration generally required, register here.
August 11, 2021
- Be Seen: How to Make Yourself More Visible to Employer Recruiters – This webinar will teach you tools to make it easier for recruiters to find you. The webinar will also cover finding the right job that fits your skill set. There will be time for questions and answers. 2:00 pm- 3:00 pm EDT, pre-Registration generally required, register here.
August 19, 2021
- Centurion Military Alliance Virtual Warrior Transition Workshop – This webinar is comprised of three pillars: Educational Attainment, Vocational Proficiency, and Financial Literacy. The goal of this webinar is to gain a greater understanding of how to leverage skill sets, transition assistance tools, and resources. 11:00 am, pre-Registration generally required, register here.
August 25, 2021
- Federal Employment: Where to Begin – This webinar will focus on the federal employment process, creating a job seeker profile, and beginning to build a federal resume. Great webinar for learning how to search for federal positions. 12:00 pm ET, 9:00 am PT, pre-Registration generally required, register here.
Non-Profits Assisting Military Spouses
Focusing on networking and career development, these non-profits put military spouses first.
Hire Heroes USA
Hire Heroes USA gives one-on-one coaching to spouses no matter where in the hiring process they are. With LinkedIn and resume help, as well as interview and job board preparation, spouses are able to be a cut above the rest. Being paired with a transition specialist, this free resource helps spouses and military members land the career they have been looking for while staying in touch throughout the hiring process.
RELATED: Hiring Our Heroes: Overview of Programs
The United Service Organization or USO, allows volunteer opportunities and networking events for military service members and their dependents. By signing up for USO Military Spouse Networking Events spouses are able to connect with spouses in their area who are in the same situation they are in. By attending these events, spouses are able to improve their elevator pitch, explaining yourself and your personal mission, resume and interview skills without the pressure of being corrected or evaluated. Spouses are encouraged to “find their spark” and find what they are passionate about to bring focus and purpose to their life though USO spouse connections.
RELATED: USO Transition Program & 3 Tips for Transition Success
Military Spouse Corporate Center Network (MSCCN)
Founded in 2004 the Military Spouse Corporate Center Network, or MSCCN, aids spouses to find a balance between their career and military life challenges. Being able to search work from home employment and access prerecorded trainings allows even the busiest spouses a way to improve their job search. Aiming to help spouses maintain and obtain a portable career is their main focus, MSCCN aims to encourage spouses to accomplish their career goals regardless of location or station.
COVID-19 has changed the whole world as we know it. Being an ever changing service, military members and their families must learn to adapt to their circumstances and overcome any obstacle. Being able to keep up to date with employment preparation and job trends is the key to stay on top of the job market. Being able to relay and support each other in our communities.
RELATED: 3 Big Military Spouse Professional Advocacy Networks
Blue Star Families
Blue Star Families has a program called Spouse Force which is sponsored by The Walmart Foundation and JPMorgan Chase that aids military spouses in building a technology career. Their aim is to make sure that spouses have a career that is portable and in high demand. Training offered by sponsors allows the spouse to be a step ahead of competition in the hiring process. Training in skills related to software and technology, business and writing management as well as internet and workplace safety, allow the spouse to improve their resume and interview skills. Blue Star Families connects individuals with online mentors around the country in their desired field of practice to ensure they are on the correct path to their new career.
Even though the world around us seems to be at a standstill, this is the perfect time to get ahead. Online training and courses are more readily available than ever before. Improving yourself inside and out will put a new perspective on this life in quarantine. Staying sharp and ready with skills like interviewing and networking will allow you to be one step ahead in the new normal. Now more than ever this year, with the holiday season approaching, more opportunities are just around the corner, you just need to know where to look.
- Virtual Job Fairs for Military and Veterans
- Careers at the Department of Veteran Affairs
- 5 Insider Tips for Navigating USAJOBS
- Best Interview Tips To Land Your Next Job
- 8 Ways the Military Spouse Employment Act Can Benefit You
- 5 Tips for Military Spouses: Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile
- Conference for Military and Veterans Interested in Information Security Careers