Veterans Housing Grants Through the Home Depot Foundation
Help for Veterans Through the Home Depot Foundation
You might shop at Home Depot and know they have a military discount. There is also something known as the Home Depot Foundation, committed to improving the homes veterans.
RELATED: Home Depot Military Discount
The foundation has pledged to invest half of a billion dollars in veteran causes by 2025. One program worth noting is the Veteran Housing Grant option–these Home Depot grants have ranged in the past between $100,000 and $500,000. These are awarded as grants to nonprofit organizations for the new construction or rehabilitation of permanent supportive housing for veterans.
Who Qualifies for this Program?
This program is for organizations that meet the qualifications below:
- 501(c)3 nonprofits that have maintained good standing with the IRS for at least five years.
- Organizations with a current operating budget of at least $300,000 and “audited financial statements from the past three years”
- Have previous experience developing veteran housing and currently manage or own veteran-specific housing.
- Have a 15+ year ownership stake in the development.
- Be involved in the Continuum of Care or a local collaboration to end homelessness in their community.
Where are the Grants Awarded?
Grants are awarded with priority to those in cities with over 300,000 people including the following:
- Los Angeles, CA
- Seattle, WA
- New York, NY
- Houston, TX
- Detroit, MI
- San Diego, CA
- Denver, CO
- Chicago, IL
- Atlanta, GA
- Tampa, FL
Eligibility Requirements for the Home Depot Veteran Housing Grant Program
- The program supports new construction or rehabilitation of multifamily, permanent supportive housing for veterans.
- The grant can only be used for the costs of the physical housing construction for veterans.
- The funding must comprise less than 50% of the total development cost of the project or program.
- The target population of the veterans must be at or below 80% AMI.
- When applying for the program, 75% of their funding sources must be identified.
- The project needs to commence within 12 months of proposal submission.
- At least 20% of housing units must be reserved for veterans.
- Proposals must show evidence of a 3rd party binding agreement that ensures that the housing units are occupied by veterans for a minimum of 15 years.
- Supportive services must also be provided.
How to Apply for the Home Depot Veteran Housing Grant
Qualifying organizations may complete an application on the Home Depot official website. Applicants are typically contacted no more than 45 days after the grant proposal’s due date. It’s important to remember this grant is not for individual veterans or organizations for single repairs. The Home Depot Foundation does have a list of partners that might be able to help with such projects.
- Home Depot Military Discount
- The Veteran’s Ranch: Helping Our Homeless Heroes
- Care Packages For The Troops
- Verizon And The VA Have Teamed Up To Help Veterans