Home  »  Military & Veteran Benefits   »   The 10 Best PCS Benefits for the Military & Their Families

The 10 Best PCS Benefits for the Military & Their Families

Best Military PCS Benefits

10 Best PCS Benefits for Members of the Military and Their Families

Most military service members and their families will experience at least one PCS during their time in the military. If you haven’t been through a PCS yet, you will. But what benefits can you get that are related to PCSing? Here are 10 of them!

1) Transferring Professional Licenses

Each service branch will help reimburse licensure costs that come up when a service member’s spouse has to PCS. This started with the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act and may reimburse up to a specific cap for relicensure and certification costs because of a relocation or PCS move.

2) Per Diem

Service members may be approved a per diem for meals, incidentals, and lodging when moving to a new duty station. You can check the rates here.

3) Dislocation Allowance or DLA

DLA may partially reimburse you for miscellaneous moving costs. You can check the rates here.

4) Temporary Lodging Allowance or TLA

TLA helps with the cost of temporary lodging and meals while waiting on OCONUS housing. You may be authorized TLA for a max of 60 days when arriving and 10 days when leaving. TLE or Temporary lodging Expense is for CONUS moves for 5 or 10 days. TLA and TLE must be listed on your orders, this allowance is not automatic.

5) The Personally-Procured-Move or PPM

PPM or what was formally called a DITY move. This is where you can move your own household goods, then can be reimbursed the amount of the GCC (Government Constructive Cost) if you have your own carrier or 95% of the GCC if you move your property on your own.

You may also receive an advanced allowance to help with out-of-pocket expenses. This type of move is popular for some military families and others would rather the military move 100%. This type of move is not automatically approved for all who PCS, you may need to get permission for a PPM.

6) The Relocation Assistance Program

The Relocation Assistance Program will help you prepare for a PCS. It provides resources and one-on-one support for moving costs, household goods shipments, housing options, childcare, sponsorship, schools, spouse employment, newcomer orientations, loan closets, and more. This program is usually offered through your installation.

7) Moving Pets Overseas

If your pet is required to be quarantined, you may be eligible to receive up to $550 per PCS depending on circumstances. This is not offered for all PCS moves, don’t assume you are entitled to this allowance just by receiving PCS orders.

8) Monetary Allowance in Lieu of Transportation or MALT

MALT is paid as mileage reimbursement for service members and their dependents during a PCS move. MALT is paid on a per-mile basis for the official distance of each portion of travel. This allowance is not necessarily offered to all who PCS, be sure to ask if this allowance is an option for your move.

9) Shipping a Vehicle

If you have an overseas PCS, the government may pay to ship or store ONE POV (Privately Owned Vehicle) when you receive your orders. This is for OCONUS to OCONUS, OCONUS to CONUS, and CONUS to OCONUS. This must be authorized by your command and is not guaranteed. Some overseas locations do not allow the shipment of privately owned vehicles or regulate them heavily.

10) Shipment of Household Goods

The government will ship your household goods to your new duty location. There are weight limits and are based on your rank and dependent status. You may be required to pay a fee for exceeding your household good weight limit.



About the author